Re: libata error handling

From: Luben Tuikov
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 14:00:52 EST

On 08/19/05 01:40, Tejun Heo wrote:
> I genearally agree that the events are somewhat standard for block
> devices but IMHO SCSI EH also has fair amount SCSI-specific assumptions
> and ATA is a bit too different from SCSI to fit cleanly into it. For
> example, when handling NCQ errors, the whole task set is aborted and the
> status is retrieved with read log page. This can be worked around in
> one of the hooks and emulate SCSI behavior, but it just doesn't really
> fit well. And I think that recovering via translation layer is a bit
> too much translation.
>
> So, my thought is that SCSI EH assumptions are a bit too specific to
> be used as standard for block devices.

Ok, so everyone seems to agree on this.

> It's true that we must do SCSI specific tasks inside libata if we use
> eh_strategy_handler but I don't think switching to fine-grained EH will
> reduce the amount of SCSI-specific things inside libata. I think as
> long as we can insulate LLDD's from SCSI layer, either way should be
> okay later.

True, this is the goal. Separation between device management
and how that device got to you, is the future and should be the
a goal.

> I agree that being the only user does incur difficulties, but my very
> subjective feeling is that the original libata EH implementation was
> just a bit too fragile to start with. eg. not grabbing host lock on EH
> entrance causing command completion vs. EH handling race and handling
> errors in several different ways.
>
> Heh... Maybe I'm just reluctant to let go of my patches. Anyways,
> I'll now stand down and see how things go and try to help.

Please don't do that. One thing everyone in the Linux community knows
is that Linux-SCSI needs fresh minds and fresh ideas. Especially from
knowlegable folks in the storage protocols and standards.

Luben