Re: lost ticks and Hangcheck

From: Nathan Becker
Date: Sat Aug 20 2005 - 04:52:44 EST

Please make sure this issue is reproducible without any binary only
drivers.

I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers and tried again with the nv x.org driver. Same problem. I also tried remaining in text mode (with no NVIDIA drivers loaded). Same problem. In both cases it occurs when I start seriously loading the CPU.

One thing that may be of interest is that the message in dmesg is different if I'm in text mode vs. x.org. If I'm in text mode the message is:

Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.

If I'm running x.org then I get

warning: many lost ticks.
Your time source seems to be instable or some driver is hogging interupts
rip default_idle+0x20/0x30

OK, I'll open a bug report in bugzilla. I don't think this is the same as bug #3341. My clock comes up normal 100% of the time on boot up. Things only go awry when I start putting a load on the CPU.

Thanks very much for your help, and please cc. me if you find anything out since I'm not a regular subscriber.

Nathan