Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [Alsa drivers] Creatives X-Fi chip

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Tue Aug 23 2005 - 13:51:47 EST

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 09:41:11PM +0100, Peter Zubaj wrote:
> This is too expensive card to be only able use it as simple card.
> My advice buy something else.
> I don't think fight with creative can bring anything good to linux.
> Leave Creative as is. There is plenty of other hardware from other
> manufacturer worth money.

If I could get the same level of support as my sb live has, I would be
quite happy. I don't need EAX, but I do want midi synth and multi
channel audio playback and recording and such to work, and all the line
in and out on the device. We have that on the emu10kx cards as far as I
can tell (at least everything I have used on my sb live platinum works).

I don't mind if the fancy DSP algorithms and EAX is windows only, since
it really only applies to games, and if I want to play a windows game, I
will reboot to windows. Doesn't happen very often lately, but with an
athlon 700, it isn't that surprising really. Maybe when someday I get
an athlon 64 instead.

So I would buy creative's new card if it had the same level of support in
alsa as the current emu10kx cards do. Any more I don't expect, but any
less would mean I don't buy one. The emu10k1 sb live was the first
creative product I was ever willing to buy and with the support it has
in linux I have been happy with it. I didn't want their older cards,
and I don't want most of the other cheap crap cards that have been
around (I used to have a few gravis cards and liked those).

Most onboard audio seems to pretty decent these days, but if you expect
midi to work, you want something a bit better.

So I for one would love to see creative offer enough documentation or
example code to replicate the features of the emu10kx on the new chip,
even if we still don't get DSP algorithms. If they don't, well I won't
buy one, and I won't recomend it to anyone either. If they do, I will
highly recomend it (if it works as well as it appears it should), and I
will buy one too.

Len Sorensen