Re: [patch 8/8] PCI Error Recovery: PPC64 core recovery routines

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Wed Aug 24 2005 - 19:51:45 EST

> I think what I'd like to see is that when a slot gets isolated and the
> driver doesn't have recovery code, the kernel calls the driver's
> unplug function and generates a hotplug event to udev. Ideally this
> would be a variant of the remove event which would say "and by the
> way, please try replugging this slot when you've finished handling the
> remove event" or something along those lines.

I'm still trying to understand why we care. What prevents us from just
uplugging the previous device and re-plugging right away ? After all,
the driver->remove() function is supposed to guarantee that no HW access
will happen after it returns and that everything was unmapped.

Of course, we'll possibly end up with a different ethX or whatever, but
I don't see the problem with that ... It's hopeless to think we might
manage to keep that identical anyway, unless the driver implements
proper error recovery.

Ben.