Telling Linux that a SATA device has gone away

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 09:50:40 EST

I have a laptop (Dell Latitude D610) that has a removable DVD drive. It
appears to be a PATA device, but is presented under ata_piix so behaves
like a SCSI drive. With the ACPI generic hotkey driver, I can get events
when it's removed and reinserted. Is there any way I can tell Linux that
the device has been removed? hdparm's bus registration support
(unsurprisingly) doesn't seem to work too well on sr0, but echoing
"remove-single-device 1 0 0 0" to /proc/scsi/scsi doesn't seem to do
anything either.
--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx