Re: Need better is_better_time_interpolator() algorithm

From: George Anzinger
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 14:16:47 EST

Alex Williamson wrote:
On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 08:39 -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:

I think a priority is something useful for the interpolators. Some of the decisions about which time sources to use also have criteria different from drift/latency/jitter/cpu. F.e. timers may not survive various power-saving configurations. Thus I would think that we need a priority plus some flags.

Some of the criteria for choosing a time source may be:

Hi Christoph,

I sent another followup to this thread with a patch containing a
fairly crude algorithm that I think better explains my starting point.
I'm sure the weighting and scaling factors need work, but I think many
of the criteria you describe will favor the right clock.

1. If a system boots up with a single cpu then there is no question that the ITC/TSC should be used because of the fast access.

We need to factor in frequency shifting here, especially if it happens with out notice.

~
--
George Anzinger george@xxxxxxxxxx
HRT (High-res-timers): http://sourceforge.net/projects/high-res-timers/