Re: [KCONFIG] Can't compile 2.6.12 without Gettext

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Aug 27 2005 - 12:51:53 EST

On Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 12:23:38AM +0900, Jerome Pinot wrote:
> ---- snip ----
> In file included from scripts/kconfig/conf.c:14:
> scripts/kconfig/lkc.h:11:21: libintl.h: No such file or directory
> ---- snip ----
>
> Actually, adding libintl.h in /usr/include didn't solve the issue in
> my case. My gettext implementation is not exactly complete. Anyway the
> script shouldn't failed at this step.
>
> Segher Boessenkool, who had the same problem, sent me a way to compile
> the kernel by modifying a bit the lkc.h and mconf.c files. I suggested
> him to send this to lkml too.
>
> The fix to do is really small but it needs to define a policy about
> how kconfig should decide about using gettext or not. It could use a
> configure script or a parameter from command line to choose whether or
> not to look for a gettext implementation (something like "make NLS=0
> menuconfig" maybe). This should be define prior to any patch attempt.

You said "full gettext" was required and that the presence of "gettext
binaries" should be checked what surprised me. It seems this is not the
problem. Under Linux, libintl.h is not shipped with gettext but with the
C library if you are using glibc or dietlibc.

I do not question your point that "uClibc is widely used", but it's
widely used to _run_ a Linux kernel.

You said you are "thinking about small or embedded system with specific
toolchain". If a system is so limited that you run uClibc on it, is this
really the right system to _compile_ a kernel on? Where's the problem
with cross-compiling the kernel for such a system?

> Regards,
> Jerome Pinot

cu
Adrian