Re: Kernel/Box Freezes Under Kernel 2.6.12.5

From: Philip Lawatsch
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 11:21:52 EST

Justin Piszcz wrote:

> I have three different Maxtor (promise) ATA/133 controllers, it
> happens with all three.

Ever since going to 2.6.12 I also have random hangs with my fileserver.

I've got a
Bus 0, device 6, function 0:
Unknown mass storage controller: Promise Technology, Inc. 20269 (rev 2).
IRQ 17.
Master Capable. Latency=32. Min Gnt=4.Max Lat=18.
I/O at 0xec00 [0xec07].
I/O at 0xe800 [0xe803].
I/O at 0xe400 [0xe407].
I/O at 0xe000 [0xe003].
I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc0f].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xdfffc000 [0xdfffffff].

in the box.

Since I do not have a serial cable attached I dont have the panic output. But iirc it crashes somewhere in an interrupt handler complaining about damaged pagetables (thats why I thought it was bad memory). But it takes about 3 days for the machine to hang (and I'm happily using all the memory and have high disk i/o in the meantime).

I'll go and replace the memory but perhaps there really is a bug in the driver.

kind regards Philip