Re: Ignore disabled ROM resources at setup

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Aug 30 2005 - 00:22:57 EST

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005, Jon Smirl wrote:

> I was reading the status out of the PCI config space to account for
> our friend X which enables ROMs without informing the OS. With X
> around PCI config space can get out of sync with the kernel
> structures.

Well, yes, except that we use the in-kernel resource address for the
actual ioremap() _anyway_ in the routine that calls this, so if X has
remapped the ROM somewhere else, that wouldn't work in the first place.

I'm sure X plays games with this register (I suspect that's why the Matrox
thing broke in the first place), but I don't think it should do so while
the kernel uses it.

I don't think we have much choice anyway. See above.

Linus