Re: syscall: sys_promote

From: Qi Yong
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 02:53:49 EST

Ulrich Drepper wrote:

On 8/29/05, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Fixing it might be useful in some obscure cases anyway - POSIX threads
might benefit from it too, providing the functionality of changing all
thread uids at once isnt triggered for sensible threaded app behaviour.

I would very much like to see that fixed. Currently we have to change
the UIDs/GIDs at userlevel with cross-thread calls implemented via
signals. This is user observable which is not correct. This is
probably the last area where we're not 100% POSIX compliant.

As for adding this proposed syscall: it can only lead to chaos. All
kinds of user code correctly so assumes the IDs don't change over the
lifetime of a process. The solution for the problem has been

After a user shell is promoted to root, its prompt is still $ instead of #. But why do we care?

mentioned as well: re-exec. This will require some code rewrite on
the side of the applications but any decent daemon is hopefully soon

OK, so any decent processes should not break into other processes' address space.
And let us use non-preemptive multitasking?

support re-exec anyway for another reason: re-randomization of the
address space. What good does address space randomization do if the
machines and programs are so damn stable that they keep running for
months at a time? nscd supports this now and I think openssh as well.