Re: Atheros and rt2x00 driver

From: Denis Vlasenko
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 04:28:15 EST

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 11:16, Mateusz Berezecki wrote:
> Florian Weimer <fw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -> The FTC issues are shared by many (most?) wireless drivers. The
> -> copyright/trade secret issues might be worked around by basing the
> -> work on the OpenBSD version of that driver (and someone is actually
> -> working on that).
>
> the problem with openbsd version of the hal is that it is - sorry to
> say that - fundamentally broken, at least it was last time I was
> checking. It misses just too much functionality. Apart from that, the

What it can do? In particular, can it:
* send packets with arbitrary contents? In particular, packets
shorter than 3-address 802.11 header? packets with WEP bit set?
Does it allow to do WEP encoding by host instead of hal?
Any weird limitations?
* receive packets?
* tune to the given channel (or freq)?

If it can do that, everything else IIRC can be done in software.
Really, what prevents us from, say, beacons every 1/10s?

> work I'm doing is partially based on that openbsd stuff :)
> (no, this doesn't contradict what I wrote above)

Nice to see you are in "release early" crowd.

http://mateusz.agrest.org/atheros/:
may I suggest using atheros-20050805 instead of atheros-08052005
(will maintain correct sorting order in 2006,2007...)
--
vda