Re: KLive: Linux Kernel Live Usage Monitor

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 10:06:20 EST

Hi!

> > [..] combined
> > with an automatic oops/panic/bug-report this would be _very_ useful I think.
>
> That would be nice addition IMHO. It'll be more complex since it'll
> involve netconsole dumping and passing the klive session to the kernel
> somehow (userland would be too unreliable to push the oops to the
> server). The worst part is that oops dumping might expose random kernel
> data (it could contain ssh keys as well), so I would either need to
> purify the stack/code/register lines making the oops quite useless, or
> not to show it at all (and only to show the count of the oopses
> publically). A parameter could be used to tell the kernel if the whole
> oops should be sent to the klive server or if only the notification an
> oops should be sent (without sending the payload with potentially
> sensitive data inside).

Well, you could remove everything that is not valid kernel text from backtrace.

That should make ssh keys non-issue and still provide usefull information.

Oh and you probably want to somehow identify modified kernels.
Otherwise if I do some development on 2.3.4-foo5, you'll get many oopsen
caused by my development code... it is getting complex.
--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms