Re: Possible BUG in IPv4 TCP window handling, all recent 2.4.x/2.6.xkernels

From: lists
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 09:34:17 EST

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, John Heffner wrote:

Have you tried increasing the size of the receive buffer yet?

Actually, I just did. I changed rmem_max and rmem_default to 4MB and tcp_rmem to "64k 4MB 4MB". It did seem to help, but I'm wondering if that's simply because it has a _lot_ of memory now to leak before it starts eating up into the window size.

I also ran into some very strange packet loss problems that weren't occurring yesterday; they only started occurring after I increased the buffer size. Most strange. If they happen again, I'll make sure I capture the flow to analyze it.

Anyway, that was just to see if I can do anything at all to mitigate the problem. I'll try again with smaller buffers (4k 128k 256k) and see what happens.

Thanks,
-Ion