Re: SysFS, module names and .name

From: iSteve
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 17:18:48 EST

Yes, I am rather interested -- could you please provide details about this method?

Thanks in advance.

- iSteve

Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Sep 01, 2005 at 10:28:56PM +0200, iSteve wrote:

Greetings,
in sysfs, /sys/bus/*/drivers lists the driver names, with their exported .name (eg. '.name = "EMU10K1_Audigy"' in the module code, from now on 'driver name'). In /sys/modules, the kernel modules are listed with their module name, eg. snd_emu10k1. However, it seems to me that in sysfs, there is no way in particular to tell, which module has which .name. That is, that snd_emu10k1 is EMU10K1_Audigy and vice versa.

I wonder whether it wouldn't be possible to add a symlink to the particular module from the driver, and/or from the module to the driver, so the list of devices handled by the module and the module name would be accessible. This way, I would know which driver name corresponds to which module name and vice versa.

It's already automatically created for some bus drivers (like USB). I
had a simple patch to enable this for PCI, but haven't gotten around to
changing every single pci driver to enable it. If you want to do so,
it isn't tough at all.

thanks,

greg k-h