Re: FUSE merging? (why I chose FUSE over v9fs)

From: Joshua J. Berry
Date: Fri Sep 02 2005 - 19:25:02 EST

On Friday 02 September 2005 15:34, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Miklos Szeredi <miklos@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi Andrew!
> >
> > Do you plan to send FUSE to Linus for 2.6.14?
> I agree that lots of people would like the functionality. I regret that
> although it appears that v9fs could provide it, there seems to be no
> interest in working on that.

I evaluated both v9fs and FUSE for my project (I don't want to link to it
until it does something actually useful ;) ) ... and it seemed that v9fs
just wasn't UNIXy enough for my purposes -- the Plan9 way and the UNIX way
were different enough to make me nervous. I don't remember the specific
details (this was a few months ago), but I do remember that v9fs had no
extended attribute support, which was a showstopper for me. Also, I
couldn't find any userspace library for writing 9P servers.

Others may have reached similar conclusions. Or maybe FUSE is just
better-marketed. ;)

Either way, I am a happy FUSE user. I think it offers things v9fs doesn't,
and I'd like to see it in mainline. :)

-- Josh

--
Joshua J. Berry

"I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere."
-- /usr/games/fortune