Re: 2.6.13-mm1

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 15:11:41 EST

Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 12:34:10PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Andrew,
> > >
> > > it seems you dropped
> > > schedule-obsolete-oss-drivers-for-removal-version-2.patch, but there's
> > > zero mentioning of this dropping in the changelog of 2.6.13-mm1.
> > >
> > > Can you explain why you did silently drop it?
> >
> > It spat rejects and when I looked at the putative removal date I just
> > didn't believe it anyway. Send a rediffed one if you like, but
> > October 2005 is unrealistic.
>
> That the date is no longer realistic is clear. What disappoints me is
> that you didn't mention in the changelog of 2.6.13-mm1 where I'd have
> noticed it.

Sometimes I can't be bothered getting into email threads over relatively
unimportant stuff. Usually it's related to the number of bugs we have.

> It semms I need my own bookkeeping of patches I sent that are in -mm to
> notice when they get lost.

This is called "quilt".

> The only positive side effect of this is that
> I can use this to push you harder to forward some patches of me to Linus
> that stay unforwarded in -mm for several months...

A single release cycle is 2-3 months.

I'll probably be dropping some of the patches which unexport symbols, btw.
ANy ones which aren't really, really obvious. We have a process for this.