Re: forbid to strace a program

From: Chase Venters
Date: Sat Sep 03 2005 - 17:35:05 EST

> Is there another way to do this? If the password is crypted, I need a
> passphrase or something other to decrypt it again. Not really a solution
> of the problem.
>
> Therefore, it would be best, to hide it by preventing stracing of the
> application to all users and root.
>
> Ok, root could search for the password directly in the memory, but this
> would be not as easy as a strace.

Obfuscation isn't really valid security. Making something 'harder' to break
isn't a solution unless you're making it hard enough that current technology
can't break it (eg... you always have the brute force option, but good crypto
intends to make such an option impossible without expending zillions of clock
cycles).

Can I ask why you want to hide the database password from root?

Regards,
Chase Venters