re: RFC: i386: kill !4KSTACKS

From: Alex Davis
Date: Sun Sep 04 2005 - 21:33:17 EST

--- Sean <seanlkml@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, September 4, 2005 10:00 pm, Alex Davis said:
> > Dave Jones wrote:
> >>- NDISwrapper / driverloader.
> >> (Shock, horror - no-one cares).
> >
> > Shock, horror. Someone DOES care: everyone who uses ndiswrapper or
> > driverloader, whether they know it or not. Are you proposing that
> > we punish the end-users because of the obstinence of the hardware
> > manufacturers? If/when native drivers are written, maybe we can
> > revisit this.
>

> Continuing the promotion of binary-only drivers _hurts_ the demand for
> (and thus the development of) open source drivers. Read the comment from
> Dave as something like "Nobody who matters, with regard to kernel
> development, cares about NDISwrapper". If _you_ care, fork your own tree
> and maintain the patch as necessary.
>
> Regards,
> Sean

Sean:

Linux isn't just used by kernel developers. It's that attitude that helps insure
Linux will always have a small userbase. Lack of numbers just gives the manufacturers
another reason not to care about us. Joe User doesn't care about our philosophical
issues, nor should he. When I install Linux on someone's machine, he wants it to work
NOW, not in some 'perfect-world' future.

-Alex

-Alex

I code, therefore I am