Re: RFC: i386: kill !4KSTACKS

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 18:07:58 EST

On Sep 5, 2005, at 18:32:32, Thorild Selen wrote:
Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
Please name situations where 8K stacks may be preferred that do not
involve binary-only modules.

How about NFS-exporting a filesystem on LVM atop md? I believe it has
been mentioned before in discussions that 8k stacks are strongly
recommended in this case. Are those issues solved?

I think the worst overflow case anyone found was nfs=>xfs=>lvm=>dm=>scsi, if
someone has such a configuration, please retest with current -mm or similar.
I think there are several patches in there to resolve the excessive stack
usage and a few to do some sort of bio chaining (Instead of recursive calls).
I don't remember what underlying hardware was behind the SCSI, but I suspect
something like iSCSI or USB would push some extra stack in there for stress
testing.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at
it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.