Re: [RFC] Splitting out kernel<=>userspace ABI headers

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 18:28:45 EST

On Sep 5, 2005, at 12:35:42, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Followup to: <B9E70F6F-CC0A-4053-AB34-A90836431358@xxxxxxx>
By author: Kyle Moffett <mrmacman_g4@xxxxxxx>
In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

Didn't you mean "#define stat __kabi_stat64"? Also, I can see that
would pose other issues as well say my app does "struct stat stat;"
Any error messages would refer to a variable "__kabi_stat64" instead
of the expected "stat":

No, I didn't. That's *exactly* why I didn't mean that.

#define __kabi_stat64 stat
#include <linux/abi/stat.h>

That being said, I would personally like to see it possible to typedef
struct, union and enum tags.

_OH_!!! Forgive me for missing the point entirely! I can see how that would
work very well. Nice trick, BTW! Very sneaky, needs significant explanatory
comments in whatever header file it ends up in lest others get confused in
the same fashion as I. With all of that mess out of the way, I'll work on
getting a few initial RFC patches out the door, and then we can revisit this
discussion once there is something tangible to talk about.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
Somone asked me why I work on this free (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/)
software stuff and not get a real job. Charles Shultz had the best answer:

"Why do musicians compose symphonies and poets write poems? They do it because
life wouldn't have any meaning for them if they didn't. That's why I draw
cartoons. It's my life."
-- Charles Shultz