[RFC][MEGAPATCH] Change __ASSEMBLY__ to __ASSEMBLER__ (defined by GCC from 2.95 to current CVS)

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Mon Sep 05 2005 - 20:30:19 EST

On Sep 5, 2005, at 19:28:07, Kyle Moffett wrote:
With all of that mess out of the way, I'll work on getting a few initial RFC
patches out the door, and then we can revisit this discussion once there is
something tangible to talk about.

Ugh. Step one for my cleanup is to rename __ASSEMBLY__ to something defined
automatically by GCC (IE: __ASSEMBLER__). And yes, I checked, __ASSEMBLER__
is defined by everything from old 2.95 to 4.0, even though it wasn't really
documented in anything older than 3.4. This megapatch is basically a search
and replace of __ASSEMBLY__ with __ASSEMBLER__ over the whole kernel source,
except in Makefiles, where I just delete the -D__ASSEMBLY__ argument. If
this is generally acceptable, I'll break it up into small digestible pieces
and send to individual maintainers, unless someone wants to pass the whole
monster through their tree in one big lump. This is a lot of code churn,
but it's a valid cleanup and will help me out as I try to make more of the
kernel headers easily digestible for userspace.

Ok, the patch itself is temporarily located here (Please be nice to my
desktop, it has a 650MB/day upload limit imposed by Virginia Tech that I'd
rather not go over) [patch is 308k]:

http://zeus.moffetthome.net/~kyle/rename-__ASSEMBLY__-to- __ASSEMBLER__.patch

And here's the diffstat [27k]

http://zeus.moffetthome.net/~kyle/rename-__ASSEMBLY__-to- __ASSEMBLER__.diffstat

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
Unix was not designed to stop people from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop them from doing clever things.