Re: GFS, what's remainingh

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Tue Sep 06 2005 - 00:06:26 EST

On Monday 05 September 2005 23:58, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 September 2005 00:07, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > On Monday 05 September 2005 23:02, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> > > By the way, you said "alpha server" not "alpha servers", was that just a
> > > slip? Because if you don't have a cluster then why are you using a dlm?
> >
> > No, it is not a slip. The application is running on just one node, so we
> > do not really use "distributed" part. However we make heavy use of the
> > rest of lock manager features, especially lock value blocks.
>
> Urk, so you imprinted on the clunkiest, most pathetically limited dlm feature
> without even having the excuse you were forced to use it. Why don't you just
> have a daemon that sends your values over a socket? That should be all of a
> day's coding.

Umm, because when most of the code was written TCP and the rest was the
clunkiest code out there? Plus, having a daemon introduces problems with
cleanup (say process dies for one reason or another) whereas having it in
OS takes care of that.

> Anyway, thanks for sticking your head up, and sorry if it sounds aggressive.
> But you nicely supported my claim that most who think they should be using a
> dlm, really shouldn't.

Heh, do you think it is a bit premature to dismiss something even without
ever seeing the code?

--
Dmitry