Re: 'virtual HW' into kernel (SystemC)

From: Eric Piel
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 07:03:52 EST

09/07/2005 01:40 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote/a Ãcrit:
MÃrius MontÃn wrote:

:
At this point, we plan to develop a pci device driver to act as a bridge
between kernel PCI subsystem and SystemC simulator (in user space).

No need for a set of tools. As long as your SystemC simulator simulates an entire platform -- CPU, DRAM, etc. -- then you can boot Linux on the simulated platform.

If you can boot Linux on the simulated platform, then you can easily develop a Linux driver long before real HW is available.

No, this approach is not feasible because it would be require to describe the entire computer in SystemC: it's extremly complex to do and the simulation will be very slow.

From what I understand MÃrius tries to only simulate one component (like a PCI card). As suggested Muli, a plugin to something like quemu sounds like a good idea?

Eric