Re: [patch 0/4] ide: Break ide_lock to per-hwgroup lock

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 13:41:55 EST

On Mer, 2005-09-07 at 11:16 -0700, Ravikiran G Thirumalai wrote:
> I tested it on a 2way box with a piix controller. It got through Bonnie++.
> I have access to piix controllers only, so that was the only controller
> I changed. I did not read the errata though... :(

Errata matter a lot unfortunately - older IDE controllers commonly have
bugs where changing the set up of one interface affects the other even
if a transfer is occuring.

> Do you think the approach is unsafe, even if the piix tune routine is
> serialized with a per-driver lock? Bartlomiej?

If the documents/errata for the chips are checked then I can see it
making sense. I do worry that it may introduce other races because the
IDE locking is such a mess but that would be true of any change and
eventually has to be addressed.

I think it makes sense, with corrections.