Re: Serial maintainership

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 11:28:59 EST

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Iau, 2005-09-08 at 16:52 +0100, Russell King wrote:
> > I notice DaveM's taken over serial maintainership. Please arrange for
> > serial patches to be sent to davem in future, thanks. (All ARM serial
> > drivers are broken as of Tuesday.)
> >
> > I might take a different view if I at least had a curtious CC: of the
> > patch, which I had already asked akpm to reject.
> >
> > Thanks. That's another subsystem I don't have to care about anymore.
>
> Please remember to send Linus a patch updating MAINTAINERS if so.

Guys, stop being stupid about things. I already sent rmk an email in
private. And Alan, there's absolutely no point in making things even
worse.

Mistakes happen, and the way you fix them is not to pull a tantrum, but
tell people that they are idiots and they broke something, and get them to
fix it instead.

You don't have to be polite about it, and swearing is fine. So instead of
saying "I don't want to play any more because Davem made a mistake", say
something like "Davem is a f*cking clueless moron, here's what he did and
here's why it's wrong".

Notice? In both cases you get to vent your unhappiness. In the second
case, you make the person who made a mistake look bad. But in the first
case, it's just yourself that looks bad.

Linus