Re: [Linux-usb-users] Possible bug in usb storage (2.6.11 kernel)

From: Matthew Dharm
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 15:44:17 EST

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 02:28:09PM -0600, Jim Ramsay wrote:
> On 9/8/05, Jim Ramsay <jim.ramsay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Fixing the SCSI layer is -exactly- the correct solution. The SCSI layer is
> > > supposed to guarantee us that those buffers are suitable for DMA'ing, and
> > > apparently it's violating that promise.
> >
> > Thanks, I'll check on what buffer I'm actually getting, where it's
> > allocated, and post back what I find, or how I fixed it.
>
> More information:
>
> The error only occurrs during device sensing when the
> srb->request_buffer is assigned as follows, by usb/storage/transport.c
> in the routine usb_stor_invoke_transport:
>
> old_request_buffer = srb->request_buffer;
> srb->request_buffer = srb->sense_buffer;
>
> Now, this is a problem because srb->sense_buffer is defined as follows
> in the struct scsi_cmnd:
>
> #define SCSI_SENSE_BUFFERSIZE 96
> unsigned char sense_buffer[SCSI_SENSE_BUFFERSIZE];
>
> Since it is not allocated at runtime there is NO WAY the SCSI layer
> can possibly guarantee it is page- or cache-aligned and ready for DMA.
>
> Any suggestions on best fix for this? Is it still a SCSI-layer issue?
> Or should USB step up in this case and ensure this buffer is dma-safe
> itself?

Ah, that buffer doesn't come from SCSI (tho I've long thought they should
provide us with a sense data buffer). So this is a real usb-storage bug.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

What, are you one of those Microsoft-bashing Linux freaks?
-- Customer to Greg
User Friendly, 2/10/1999