Re: Debugging

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 10:30:36 EST

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Lares Moreau wrote:

> OKay this is a noobie question,
>
> I have all the kernel debugging options turned. Now how do I change the
> kernel logging level from prompt? Or do I?
>
> I have 'loglevel=7' appended to my kernel line in grub. Is that all I
> need or is there more to it?
>
> Worry not I have syslog-ng setup properly

'loglevel=7' should be sufficient, except that I have seen some
distro's init scripts change it during bootup, so just be aware
of that (or search for it).

I usually use loglevel or 8 or 9 (via alt-sysrq-N). According to
Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt:
loglevel= All Kernel Messages with a loglevel smaller than the
console loglevel will be printed to the console.
so using a value of 7 would omit KERN_DEBUG messages.
7 (KERN_DEBUG) debug-level messages

--
~Randy