Re: VM balancing issues on 2.6.13: dentry cache not getting shrunk enough

From: Dipankar Sarma
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 07:06:54 EST

Hi Ted,

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 06:57:09AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:

> I have a T40 laptop (Pentium M processor) with 2 gigs of memory, and
> from time to time, after the system has been up for a while, the
> dentry cache grows huge, as does the ext3_inode_cache:
>
> slabinfo - version: 2.1
> # name <active_objs> <num_objs> <objsize> <objperslab> <pagesperslab> : tunables <limit> <batchcount> <sharedfactor> : slabdata <active_slabs> <num_slabs> <sharedavail>
> dentry_cache 434515 514112 136 29 1 : tunables 120 60 0 : slabdata 17728 17728 0
> ext3_inode_cache 587635 589992 464 8 1 : tunables 54 27 0 : slabdata 73748 73749 0
>
> Leading to an impending shortage in low memory:
>
> LowFree: 9268 kB

Do you have the /proc/sys/fs/dentry-state output when such lowmem
shortage happens ?

> It turns out I can head off the system lockup by requesting the
> formation of hugepages, which will immediately cause a dramatic
> reduction of memory usage in both high- and low- memory as various
> caches and flushed:
>
> echo 100 > /proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages
> echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/nr_hugepages
>
> The question is why isn't the kernel able to figure out how to do
> release dentry cache entries automatically when it starts thrashing due
> to a lack of low memory? Clearly it can, since requesting hugepages
> does shrink the dentry cache:

This is a problem that Bharata has been investigating at the moment.
But he hasn't seen anything that can't be cured by a small memory
pressure - IOW, dentries do get freed under memory pressure. So
your case might be very useful. Bharata is maintaing an instrumentation
patch to collect more information and an alternative dentry aging patch
(using rbtree). Perhaps you could try with those.

Thanks
Dipankar