Very strange ACL problem

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 10:44:11 EST

Hello - I'm new to this list so if I'm in the wrong place let me know. But I think I've discovered a very strange ACL problem that I'd like to report. I'm still investigating the details of it but I believe it's a bug in the kernel.

First -I'm running Fedora Core 4 on a dual Athlon 64. i'm running a custom compiled 2.6.13 kernel compiled for 64 bit. File system is EXT3. SELinux is disabled.

This is going to look like an end user issue - but it's not - so please read the whole message.

Here is the problem. When running a PHP sctript from Apache (phpBB) I get this error.

Template->make_filename(): Error - file /overall_header.tpl does not exist

Looks like a permissions problem at first but after setting everything to 777 I still get the same error - but - if I edit the file /www/sfparkingtickets/phpBB2/includes/template.php with pico - make no change by just do a save rewriting the same file - everything works - that is until I reboot.

Somehow the act of rewriting the file unlocks some permissions somewhere and things start to work.

Also - even though permissions are 777 - if I chmod them to 777 I get the error. If I chown to apache - even though the file is already owned by apache - I get the error. But in all cases if I edit the file with pico and making no changes rewrite the file - it starts to work again.

I also just tried removing all acl permissions with setfacl -R -b and that doesn't affect it. So it might not be ACL related necessarilly.

I just tried appending a blank line to the end of the file with echo "" >> template.php and like pico - it clears the error.

In summary - changing permission or owner - even though I'm setting it to the same thing - causes the problem every time. Writing to the file in any way - even if you don't change the file - clears the error. So it looks to me like there is some bug in the permissions logic.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@xxxxxxxxxx

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com
My Blog: http://marc.perkel.com