Re: multiple independent keyboard kernel support

From: Zoltan Szecsei
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 02:01:45 EST

Helge Hafting wrote:

I would prefer to see "official and permanent" support for this as then when HW & drivers & kernels develop in the future, this capability will always be (immediately) available - and not have to wait for patches.

"evdev" in the kernel already separates out independent keyboards.
Isolatedevice lets several xservers run indepenmdently. There isn't
much missing, although there are minor troubles where starting one
xserver might mess up the video timing for another. (Solution:
start xserver in an appropriate order, to be found by experimentation)
Another minor problem - it won't work with every combination of video cards,
only some.
Still - when it works you even get to run accelerated 3D on
the independent heads. Nice for game parties.

This is by far the best news I could have hoped for.

I hope this helps.

Definitely yes.
Helge, thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my (lengthy) query. I will be away for a few weeks, but will try this in full during early October.

I have in the meantime unsubscribed from linux-kernel so please use my direct address if you need to discuss anything further.

Kind regards,
Zoltan

Helge Hafting

--