Re: PCI driver

From: Manu Abraham
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 14:32:27 EST

Jiri Slaby wrote:
Manu Abraham napsal(a):

Jiri Slaby wrote:

Manu Abraham napsal(a):

Jiri Slaby wrote:

you do NOT do this at all, because you have pdev already (the param of the probe function)

I rewrote the entire thing like this including the pci_remove function too, but now it so seems that in the remove function, pci_get_drvdata(pdev) returns NULL, and hence i get an Oops at module removal.

Maybe because this is badly written driver.

I have not written the driver, but this is my first go at it ..

static int mantis_pci_probe(struct pci_dev *pdev, const struct pci_device_id *mantis_pci_table)
{
struct mantis_pci *mantis;
struct mantis_eeprom eeprom;
u8 revision, latency;
u8 data[2]; if (pci_enable_device(pdev)) { dprintk(verbose, MANTIS_DEBUG, 1, "Found a mantis chip");
if ((mantis = (struct mantis_pci *) kmalloc(sizeof (struct mantis_pci), GFP_KERNEL)) == NULL) {
dprintk(verbose, MANTIS_ERROR, 1, "Out of memory");
return -ENOMEM;
}
pci_set_master(pdev);
mantis->mantis_addr = pci_resource_start(pdev, 0);
if (!request_mem_region(pci_resource_start(pdev, 0),
pci_resource_len(pdev, 0), DRIVER_NAME)) {
kfree(mantis);
return -EBUSY;
}
pci_read_config_byte(pdev, PCI_CLASS_REVISION, &revision);
pci_read_config_byte(pdev, PCI_LATENCY_TIMER, &latency);
mantis->mantis_mmio = ioremap(mantis->mantis_addr, 0x1000);
pci_set_drvdata(pdev, mantis);

if pci_enable_device fails, you set this?? Maybe you haven't read the doc enough.

I just found that, pci_enable_device() fails. So what's the way to go ahead ?

JESUS.

What i meant is i do have to enable the device, not just exit.
I understood that i have to exit if pci_enable_device() fails, but what i am looking for is why i can't enable it in the first place.

int retval = 0;

if ((retval = pci_enable_device()))
goto end;

pci_set_drvdata(pdev, mantis);