Re: "Read my lips: no more merges" - aka Linux 2.6.14-rc1

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 18:20:55 EST

On 9/14/05, Henrik Persson <root@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Ok, it's been two weeks (actually, two weeks and one day) since 2.6.13,
> > and that means that the merge window is closed. I've released a
> > 2.6.14-rc1, and we're now all supposed to help just clean up and fix
> > everything, and aim for a really solid 2.6.14 release.
>
> My cardbus is acting funny. When I insert my netgear wg511 (prism54) the
> first time after booting 2.6.14-rc1 nothing happens. Nothing in dmesg,
> nothing nowhere. I remove it. Still nothing. Oh well. Inserting again.
> THEN it initializes and is working like it usually does.
>
> 2.6.13+Ivan's PCI resource patch worked allright.
>
> I can live with this, but this is a regression.. I remember having
> exactly the same problem with some 2.4 kernel a few years back..
>
> Any patch I should try backing out? Or some patch I should try?

Somebody who's familliar with the code (as opposed to me) might be
able to point to a specific patch, but you could also try doing a
bisection search with git bisect to try and find the patch between
2.6.13 and 2.6.14-rc1 that broke it for you. A few handfuls of kernel
compiles/boots usually does the trick.
Search the archives for details, it's been described numerous times.

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>