Re: [linux-pm] swsusp3: push image reading/writing into userspace

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 21:24:40 EST

Hi.

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 12:13, Daniel Goller wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 September 2005 08:59 pm, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > Hi Pavel.
> >
> > On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 08:32, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Here's prototype code for swsusp3. It seems to work for me, but don't
> > > try it... yet. Code is very ugly at places, sorry, I know and will fix
> > > it. This is just proof that it can be done, and that it can be done
> > > without excessive ammount of code.
> >
> > No comments on the code sorry. Instead I want to ask, could you please
> > find a different name? swsusp3 is going to make people think that it's
> > Suspend2 redesigned. Since there hasn't been a swsusp2 (so far as I
> > know),
>
> swsusp2 seems to be the common/trivial name for suspend2 (at least while
> struggling to get any kind of suspend working here, helpful people have
> refered to suspend2 as swsusp2)

Yes, they do sometimes. But that's not right since 'sw' is at least
sometimes treated as an abbreviation for swap. Suspend2 isn't limited to
writing to swap. That (along with the fact that swsusp is an ugly
acronym) is the reason why I've tried to push away from using that term.

> > how about using that name instead? At least then we'll clearly
> > differentiate the two implementations and you won't confuse/irritate
> > users.
>
> if he would use that people would get quite confused and not know if people
> mean your suspend2 or his swsusp2

If they're clearly differentiated, that shouldn't be a problem. In fact,
it would help differentiate them.

> Just a thought,

Thanks!

Nigel