Re: VM balancing issues on 2.6.13: dentry cache not getting shrunkenough

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 02:21:11 EST

Martin J. Bligh wrote:

If they're freeable, we should easily be able to move them, and therefore compact a fragmented slab. That way we can preserve the LRU'ness of it.
Stage 1: free the oldest entries. Stage 2: compact the slab into whole
pages. Stage 3: free whole pages back to teh page allocator.

That seems like the perfect solution to me. Freeing up 95% or more
gives us clean pages - and moving instead of actually freeing
everything avoids the cost of repopulating the cache later. :-)

Helge Hafting