Re: Automatic Configuration of a Kernel

From: Ahmad Reza Cheraghi
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 04:49:09 EST

--- Marek W <marekw1977@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:18, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx
> wrote:
>
> Wasn't I being optimistic :) but hey, it's good to
> see that many modules.
>
> > > I'd prefer for something to select the modules
> necessary for my hardware.
> > > I can't afford the time to keep up to date with
> that's new and what
> > > isn't, what has changed, what has been
> superseded, which module works
> > > with which device, chipset even, etc...
> >
> > I'm of the opinion that if you don't have that
> much time, you should be
> > using a distro kernel where somebody *else* is
> taking the time. If you're
> > the type that builds their own kernel, the *last*
> thing you want is a tool
> > glossing over the fact that a module has been
> superceded. Who's going to
> > take care of the matching changes for
> /etc/modprobe.conf and similar
> > userspace changes, and other stuff like that? (I
> figure if 'make oldconfig'
> > asks a question, I should take notice, and any
> userspace changes that don't
> > get made are my fault - and if 'make oldconfig'
> switches drivers on me
> > without asking, that's a *bug* that lkml will hear
> about.. ;)
>
> This is exactly why I switched to Gentoo and use
> gentoo-sources kernel.

As far as I know uses Gentoo the configuration that
will be on the live-Cd. So
1. they might be alot of not needed modules
2. Some Hardware might be undetected.

> However, keep in mind that when I do 'make
> oldconfig', more often then now the
> help on new options is insufficient to make a
> decision on whether or not
> something should be included.
>
> Secondly, I'd love to know exactly what sort of
> hardware is inside my laptop,
> but funnily enough I find out the chipsets and
> vendors by running lspci.

The good thing about lspci (comparing to the others
Hardware detection like kudzu or discovery) it not
only uses the /proc files for getting the Hardware
information it also grabs its information directly
from the I/O of the Hardwares. But it lacks of getting
alls the Hardwares e.g. CD-Rom, floppy...
It would be great if there is a Programm that gets all
the Hardware information directyl from the I/O
independent from the Kernel-installation.