Re: [Patch] Support UTF-8 scripts

From: "Martin v. Löwis"
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 13:24:35 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> BOM should not be used in UTF-8. In fact, it shouldn't be used at
> all.

Says who? In UTF-8, it is not used to indicate a byte order; instead,
it is used to indicate the fact that the file is UTF-8, like a magic.
That's why I prefer to call it "UTF-8 signature".

The Unicode consortium thinks that the BOM can be used in UTF-8:

http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#29

The UTF-8 signature is very useful, and I would prefer if it would
be used instead of format-specific encoding declarations.

Regards,
Martin