Re: Current state of GIT fetch/pull clients

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Sep 15 2005 - 20:04:30 EST

Junio C Hamano wrote:
Neither http nor rsync transports know about the 'alternates'
mechanism yet, so if a downloader does:

$ git pull http://kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/$u/$tree
$ git pull rsync://kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/$u/$tree

unless the downloader has already fetched from Linus'
repository, this will not work.

* In the case of rsync transport, it would slurp all objects
your repository has, but does not get objects from Linus'
repository. Also, rsync will overwrite the
objects/info/alternates file the downloader has in his
repository with what you have in your repository, which is
not what we want.

Yes, this is why I don't bother with alternates at the present time. Users of my repos, at least, have been trained to use rsync://... and currently expect to get a working tree that way.

Jeff