Re: Automatic Configuration of a Kernel

From: Enrico Weigelt
Date: Fri Sep 16 2005 - 12:50:45 EST

* Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

<snip>
> > It's for new linux users? They should use distributions kernels.
> > It's for "power users"? They just do make menuconfig...
> > It's for kernel developers? They just do vi .config.
>
> Actually its "emacs .config" :-). But tool to help would be nice. For
> development, minimum config is nice (compiles fast), and creating
> config from scratch is quite painfull.

Yeah, I'd like to see it.

I often have to set of machines with very different hardware.
Of course such a autoconfig system cannot be perfect, but it can
be a great help for getting at least sub-optimal values and later
let the user do fine-tuning.

cu
Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service

phone: +49 36207 519931 www: http://www.metux.de/