ieee80211 updates

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 00:41:49 EST

Michael Wu wrote:
If it has a version, then only the maintainer can submit patches -

False. Presence of an optional label in source code files does not change the fundamental rules of open source, or the processes surrounding patch merging in the Linux kernel. Anybody who feels the version number should be changed is welcome to submit a patch. And a reviewer along the line is welcome to reject such a patch, if they think it is unwarranted.

otherwise the
version is useless for identifying what code you're running. (unless other

False. We have plenty of examples of slower-moving drivers where community consensus often dictates a version number change.

submitters decide to alter the version too, which is probably not a good idea)

For any given driver/subsystem/whatever version number in the kernel, ultimately a submittor changes the version and one or more reviewers approve this, by pulling the change into their tree. Your "probably not a good idea" is the 100% case here, including the master version number in ./Makefile.

That early and often thing is true for drivers aswell, the intel wireless
driver are so hopelessly out of date in mainline just after submission that
it's not funny anymore. Hopefully we'll have a mainline maintainer for
them soon that imports everything important from intel and other contributors.

Patience: We still have over 20 patches to merge, before even getting
to the ipw updates.

I wish those patches were submitted and merged quickly when they were created
instead of piling up. Other people can't get patches merged because it

Agreed.

Other people can't get patches merged because it
would
break the chain of patches. Patches are being sent too late and and infrequently..

Patience. We've got to balance kernel hackers' insatiable desire for cleanups, with the desire of users and driver developers to move forward with Linux wireless support.

Since Intel has useful stuff, stuff which affects a wide range of hardware owned by Linux users, it's worth waiting a bit to let them catch up. Of course, if it takes forever to merge their stuff, someone else will inevitably come along and speed up the process. Open source at work.

Currently, it has rather been like a clock algorithm: merge initial ieee80211 code from Intel. Accept months worth of cleanups from community. Accept unifying updates from Jouni. Begin merging work from Jiri and SuSE. Now the clock hand points at Intel again, and they've been waiting a while to send useful stuff.

People are slowly converging at a decent solution, while at the same moving wireless hardware support forward. The need to improve the wireless API is balanced with the need to keep wireless hardware working (and/or enable new wireless hardware).

This convergence will be attained more rapidly once the community starts WORKING TOGETHER, rather than sending me competing patches. Person A breaks Person B's work. And then back again.

Jeff