Re: workaround large MTU and N-order allocation failures

From: Dan Aloni
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 02:11:07 EST

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 01:08:22AM +0200, Francois Romieu wrote:
> Dan Aloni <da-x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> :
> [...]
> > The problem with large MTU is external memory fragmentation in
> > the buddy system following high workload, causing alloc_skb() to
> > fail.
>
> If the issue hits the Rx path, it is probably the responsibility of
> the device driver. Which kind of hardware do you use ?

We are using a SuperMicro board and the network driver is e1000. The
revision of the chipset is 82546GB-copper (maps to e1000_82546_rev_3).

This particular chipset does not support packet splitting, so we
are looking for a hack on the skb layer.

--
Dan Aloni
da-x@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, da-x@xxxxxxxxxxx, da-x@xxxxxxx