Re: Reiser 4 - the BIG picture - (think BIG picture)

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 11:01:04 EST

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Marc Perkel wrote:

> OK - lets reset on the personal attacks stuff. I know there are people
> who like to goat people into fighting about this but STOP IT.
>
> The question that should be answered is - is Reiser4 ready yet - and
> that should be answered only by people who actually know what they are
> talking about. Someone saying "I had Reiser 3 in 2001 and it crashed my
> drive man" has nothing to do with this decision.
>
> So - may I ask ....
>
> Does Reiser 4 break anything? What is the down side of including it?

That needed changes won't be made since it has been included.

> Does Reiser 4 lack anything that is required? Has it met the criteria
> for inclusion?

I can't answer that.

> If Reiser 4 isn't ready then what specifically needs to be done to get
> it ready? Let's post a list.
>
> How ready is Reiser 4 compared to other file systems at the point of
> inclusion? Is it ripe yet?

Review is the biggest thing that is needed now, and there aren't
a huge number of qualified reviewers, so it's largely a resourcing
issue.

How do we get the qualified reviewers to review it & post their
comments? They also have other things to do, so we can't expect
them to drop their current activities and review it this week.

--
~Randy