Re: PWC 10.x driver in the kernel?

From: Alistair John Strachan
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 17:32:37 EST

On Monday 19 September 2005 22:01, Joshua Kwan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just acquired a Logitech webcam and I couldn't get it to work with
> the version of the PWC driver currently in the kernel. Given all the
> contention about PWCX etc., are there plans to merge in the new 10.x
> version of the driver available at http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/?
> (This version does work with my webcam.) Just like the one in the kernel
> tree right now, this version does not require pwcx at all (the binary
> blob was reverse-engineered), so I think it's a big improvement.

Even if the reverse engineered component was deemed unacceptable, I'd like to
see the (other) differences between the two drivers merged ASAP. AFAIK, the
10.x pwc driver supports the v4l2 API which is useful, and as you mentioned
actually works on more camera (the 9.x versions just spam errors to dmesg on
my PWC740K).

Luc? (added CC)

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.