Re: [ANNOUNCE] ktimers subsystem

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 03:38:23 EST

* Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Applications call gettimeofday for a variety of reasons. One is because it
> > is widely available over different platformsn and application want to
> > schedule things, need timestamps etc etc.
>
> Accepted. But I still doubt that the number of calls to gettimeofday
> is in anyway justified. The question I'm asking if it is really worth
> a long and epic discussion about a single add instruction ?

it is absolutely and emphatically not worth it.

even in a hypothetical scenario [which this patchset is _not_ analogous
to] where a new, clean subsystem introduces significant overhead, but
the old subsystem is unclean, we frequently go with the new one -
because it's so much easier to speed up something that is clean, robust
and well-designed, than something that has been cobbled together!

Ingo