Re: regarding kernel compilation

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 04:39:12 EST

Gireesh Kumar writes:
> Hi,
> I'd like to compile 2.4.20-6 kernel while running in 2.6 kernel. I tried
> to do so but there are redeclaration errors with /kernel/sched.c and
> /include/linux/sched.h. One it is FASTCALL and the other it is not.
> Can anyone help me to fix this?

Looks like you're trying to compile an ancient 2.4 kernel with gcc-3.4
or newer. That has zero chance of working.

Since that looks like a RH 2.4.20 kernel, you should probably use
gcc-3.2.3 to compile it. Alternatively you can use gcc-3.4 with the
current 2.4.31 kernel.

Some 2.6-based distributions do have problems running 2.4 kernels:
FC3 needs some minor tweaks (replace udev and module-init-tools with
dev and modutils from FC2) but FC4 is a lost cause due to NPTL.