Re: Quick update on latest Linux kernel performance

From: Danial Thom
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 09:13:13 EST

--- "Chen, Kenneth W" <kenneth.w.chen@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> New performance result are posted on
> http://kernel-perf.sourceforge.net
> with latest data collected on kernel
> 2.6.13-git9.
>
> Kernel-build bench are fairly stable over the
> last 14 kernel versions
> or so. It was consistently 3-5% better on
> x86_64 over baseline 2.6.9
> kernel. It showed a lot smaller gain on ia64
> though.
>
> Java business benchmark showed very little
> change in performance on all
> kernel versions.
>
> Volanomark took some heavy performance hit
> during 2.6.12-rc* period, but
> come back in 2.6.13 on x86_64 configuration.
> Though latest 2.6.13-git9
> showed a little bit perf. regression.
>
> Netperf is showing wildly result, especially
> the 1-byte request/response
> component. Overall, UDP portion Of the netperf
> are showing nice improvement
> over baseline 2.6.9 kernel.
>
> Industry standard transaction processing
> database workload still suffering
> 13% performance regression with 2.6.13. (data
> will be posted in a separate mail)
>
> Take a look at the performance data. Comments
> and suggestions are always
> welcome and please post them to LKML.

Does it still drop packets when only running at
15% utilization?

Did you run data streams through the box while
doing these tests? There's a difference between
gaining performance in a benchmark and just
shifting performance from one activity to
another. If the latter is the case, then there's
been no progress at all. I keep seeing all these
great benchmark results, and linux keeps dropping
more and more packets as the versions increase.
Its become practically unusable as a specialized
networking appliance.

Danial