Lost Ticks - TSC Timer - AMD 64 X2 Processor - What's up with that?

From: Marc Perkel
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 10:09:50 EST

Having timer problems. About to head to the data center to try different things to get this server to work right. Losing ticks and clock is all over the place and doing obscene things to keep it almost on track - but I really need a solution.

Running 2.6.13.1 Kernel - FC4 Linux - Asus Motherboard - A8N-SLI Premium. Athlon X2 4400+ with 4 gigs of ram and it uses some sort of memory remapping to use the full 4 gigs.

I don't understand all the different timers. There's TSC and PM and what else?

Someone suggested "notsc" which I will try when I get there. But - looking for a list of other things to try as well. I have flashed the latest BIOS.

I'm thinking about giving up and going back to DOS. I didn't have these problem with DOS - and DOS boots faster. ;)

Tell me about all these timers - what are my choices - and what is most likely to actually work.

Thanks in advance.

--
Marc Perkel - marc@xxxxxxxxxx

Spam Filter: http://www.junkemailfilter.com