pci bridge 0000:00:1c.1 compaq nc8230 laptop

From: Chris Rutherford
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 11:49:30 EST

Hi All,

This is my first email to the lkml so kindly forgive me if I appear
naive.

I have a compaq nc8230 laptop with a TPM which I am 'playing with'.

I have successfully compiled and patched previous kernel versions
2.6.6 to 2.6.12 and as of patching 2.6.12 with the TPM libraries I was
able to access the tpm using an Intel motherboard but not the Compaq
machine.

Unfortunately the tpm libries in the 2.6.12 kernel were not combatable
with the Compaq tpm implementation and I was not able to locate the
TPM address or device and the kernel module could not find the TPM IC.

As of 2.6.13 the TPM code has been properly integrated with the kernel
and I was hoping to get the TPM working on my laptop. Although I
could successfully get the 2.6.12, to compile and run on the nc8230,
as of 2.6.13 I have been getting the following crash when I start the
kernel :-

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.1
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.1
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.1

I have seen the 00:1c.1 device problem in the lkml archive, however
im not sure exactly what the problem is. I thought I'd let you all
know that something has happened to the new kernel that stops it
working on the compaq nc8230 laptop. I would very much like to know
if this problem is known and if it is going to be fixed in the 2.6.14
release.

Thanks

Chris R