Re: [patch] stop inotify from sending random DELETE_SELF event under load

From: John McCutchan
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 13:27:42 EST

On 20-Sep-05, at 12:38 PM, Al Viro wrote:

I don't get it. Could you please describe what your code is _supposed_
to do? I'm not even talking about implementation - it's on the level
of "what do we want the watchers to see after the following operations".
Especially since you have fixed ABI - if you have userland clients
relying on the representation of individual events, surely they also
have to assume something about the sequence of events generated when
we do this and that to files and directories?

Okay here are some cases to help you get a better idea,

p1: watch /tmp/foo
p2: rm /tmp/foo

p1 gets IN_DELETE_SELF

p1: watch /tmp/foo
p2: echo > /tmp/foo

p1 gets IN_OPEN
p1 gets IN_MODIFY
p1 gets IN_CLOSE_WRITE

p1: watch /tmp
p2: rm /tmp/foo

p1 gets IN_DELETE + "foo"

p1: watch /tmp/foo
p2: unmount /tmp/

p1 gets IN_UNMOUNT
p1 gets IN_IGNORE

p1: watch /tmp/foo
p2 cat /tmp/foo

p1 gets IN_OPEN
p1 gets IN_ACCESS
p1 gets IN_CLOSE_NOWRITE

p1: watch /tmp/foo
p2: mv /tmp/foo /tmp/bar

p1 gets IN_MOVED_FROM + "foo" & IN_MOVED_TO + "bar"

p1: watch /tmp/
p2: echo > /tmp/bar

p1 gets IN_CREATE + "bar"
p1 gets IN_OPEN + "bar"