Re: Arrr! Linux v2.6.14-rc2

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Tue Sep 20 2005 - 15:59:55 EST

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 11:20, Sean wrote:
>On Tue, September 20, 2005 10:25 am, Gene Heskett said:
>> Humm, what are they holding out for, more ram or more cpu?:-)
>>
>> FWIW, http://master.kernel.org doesn't show it either just now.
>
>Gene,
>
>While kernel.org snapshots will no doubt be working again shortly, you
>might want to consider using git. It reduces the amount you have to
>download for each release a lot.
>
>It's really easy to grab a copy of git and use it to grab the kernel:
>
>mkdir kernel
check
>cd kernel
check
>wget http://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
check
>tar -xvjf git-core-0.99.7.tar.bz2
check
>cd git-core-0.99.7
check
>make install
check
>cd ..
>
>git clone \
>rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git \
>linux

Well, things marched right along till I got to the line for git clone
etc.

[root@coyote kernel]# git clone
rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
linux
bash: git: command not found

Humm, back up & find it put git stuff in /root/bin ?????

[root@coyote kernel]# /root/bin/git clone \
rsync://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
linux
/root/bin/git-clone: line 2: git-init-db: command not found
* git clone [-l [-s]] [-q] [-u <upload-pack>] <repo> <dir>

So why did it put it in /root/bin? It's there, but not in my $PATH.
And theres no "make uninstall" to clean up the install so I might be
able to cleanly fix the miss-fire... Murphy rides again..

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)