spurious mouse clicks

From: Michael Concannon
Date: Wed Sep 21 2005 - 08:49:38 EST

I thought it was my imagination at first, but now I have some slightly more convincing evidence of what is going on...

With 2.6.13.1 & 2 as I move my mouse around the screen, I get random clicks on things the mouse passes. Seems to happen more often with the first move from idle, but in general, it is just totally random...

With 2.6.9-11.EL and 2.6.12.6 (stock kernel.org) I do NOT get this.

Anyone else seeing this?

I would blame the OS/WM/X, as I have recently upgraded to CentOS4, but now I have tried a few different kernels in the process of getting a stable config for my wireless setup and I am convinced that the only variable that seems to matter is the kernel version. I have had this laptop for about a year and prior configs never had any mouse issues.

Config:
2.6.13.1 & 2 from kernel.org .config is the "default" from CentOS 4 - happy to post if anyone is interested.
Machine:
Dell 8600 Pentium M 2GHz 1.5G ram
Mouse:
touch pad PS/2 - dmesg/proc do not seem to show anything more specific than that
PNP: PS/2 Controller [PNP0303:KBC,PNP0f13:PS2M] at 0x60,0x64 irq 1,12
OS:
CentOS 4.1 - KDE 3.3 stock config

/mike